Eligibility For Library Card:
As a member of the Waukesha County Federated Library System (WCFLS), the Butler Public Library serves all residents and taxpayers of Waukesha County.
- A free library card will be issued to any resident of Waukesha county eighteen years of age or older who presents a picture ID and proof of current Waukesha County residency.
- A free library card will be issued to any resident of Waukesha County under the age of eighteen who is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian presenting a picture ID and proof of current residency. The parent or legal guardian must be present when obtaining the card. The child should be able to sign his or her name to obtain a card.
- If you do not live in Waukesha county you may still be eligible for a Butler Library Card. If your community has a cooperative borrowing agreement with the Waukesha County Federated Library System you are eligible to apply for a card. Unfortunately, Milwaukee County Federated Library System does not have a cooperative borrowing agreement with Waukesha County. To be eligible to check out materials from Butler Public Library, a potential customer who resides outside of Waukesha County boundaries must present identification which proves current Wisconsin residency.
- If you are not eligible for a Butler Public Library card, you will be required to pay an annual fee to check out books at the library. You are free to use materials within the library building at no charge.
In case of change of address or losing a card please notify the library as soon as possible. To replace a lost library card the fee is $1.00.
- 3 weeks for: Books, audio books on CD, tape or Playaway, music CDs and magazines.
- 1 week for: DVDs – Movies, Documentaries, and Television Series.
- The renewal period for library materials is based on which library owns the materials. For Butler owned materials, two renewals are allowed on all items (unless they are on hold for another patron).
Reserves or Holds
- Patrons can request items from other libraries to be sent to Butler Library for pickup. The library holds the items for one week. After the one week period, the hold is removed from the patron’s card and the item is returned to the owning library.
- All Waukesha county items (including DVDs/CDs) may be returned in the outdoor Butler library book drop or the inside book drop at the circulation desk.
- Materials from Butler library can also be returned at any Waukesha county public library.
Overdue & Lost Materials
- Fines for DVDs/VHS tapes: $1.00 per day.
- Fines for all other materials: 15¢ per day.
- For lost and damaged materials please inform the library as soon as possible to take care of fines or to pay for the replacement of the material (costs vary).
Materials & Equipment
- Butler library offers a wide variety of materials: children and adult books, magazines, newspapers, large print books, DVD format videos and a few Blu-Ray Videos, books on CD and tape, Playaways, as well as music CDs.
- Black and white photocopier is available to make copies for 20¢ per copy.
- Black and white printer (connected to computers) is available for 20¢ per copy. Color printer is available for 40¢ per copy.
- There is NOT a fax machine available for sending faxes.