Butler Public Library
Hours: up to 8 hours a week
Status: Part time
Starting Wage: $9/hour
The Butler Public Library is currently accepting applications seeking the right individual to serve our community as a Library Assistant. The position requires an organized individual who is able to work independently and prioritize tasks. The ideal candidate will provide excellent customer service; show a strong attention to detail; enjoy and embrace change; be comfortable with independent decision making; have the ability to work solo or as part of a team; and possess a strong work ethic.
Perform a variety of specialized technical duties included with circulation/reference desk. Preference will be given to those with Library experience and/or education.
This position performs a wide variety of general library work assisting patrons with daily library operations such as helping find materials, using the CAFÉ catalog, using the computer, answering questions and making copies. It also involves checking items in and out using the Polaris system, and shelving circulated items. The work is performed under the supervision of the Library Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Perform Circulation Desk Duties
* Check materials in and out; renew items; and empty book drop
* Find requested items for hold alerts, bundle, and route to designated libraries
* Sort incoming material from other libraries
* Issue new cards; answer patron questions; and reserve materials
* Assist patrons with reference questions
* Assist patrons with computers, and making copies
* Collect revenue from fines, copies and book sales
* Maintain patron records
* Answer phones
* Open and close the library
* Required 1-2 evenings per week, 1-2 Saturdays per month, and flexible availability to meet the demands of the library.
Additional Duties May Include
* Apply labels and covers, attach bar codes; shelve materials
* Repair books and other library materials
* Send letters on overdue accounts
* Prepare and maintain displays
* Read and straighten shelves
* Assist with adult programming
* Other duties as assigned
* High School diploma or equivalent
* Knowledge of basic library methods, techniques and procedures
* Knowledge of computers and the internet
* The ability to learn the functions of the library automation system as they relate to acquisitions and reference services.
* Ability to function in a team setting.
Work in the library requires either standing or sitting at a computer terminal for extended periods of time. May be required to lift heavy books or office supplies from the floor or lift overhead. May also need to climb a six-foot ladder. Must be able to read library materials and computer screens. Manual dexterity required to process or mend library materials, use office equipment and computers. The ability to communicate orally and in writing with library patrons; Library Director; other employees; and volunteers is required.