Butler Celebrates Its Centennial in 2013
Butler was originally located near the intersection of Lisbon Road, Capitol Drive and 124th Street. In 1909, representatives from the Milwaukee, Sparta and North Western Railway, a division of the Chicago & North Western Railway (now owned by Union Pacific), visited farmers on the east side of 124th Street and offered to buy their farmland to establish railroad yards as an adjunct to an outer belt line around the City of Milwaukee to relieve freight congestion in the downtown railroad yards. The largest parcel belonging to the Clarke family.
The unincorporated village moved one mile north to Hampton Avenue, nearer to the railroad yards. New Butler as it was called was the home of many yard workers for the massive rail marshaling yard in Milwaukee County (just east of 124th Street). In May of 1913, New Butler was incorporated as a village in Waukesha County. In 1930, the “New” part of its name was dropped.
How did Butler Get It’s Railroad Connection?
Read more about Butler’s railroad connection.
In June 2012, Butler gained membership in Union Pacific’s Train Town USA Registry as part of the railroad’s year-long 150th anniversary celebration. Butler was the first Wisconsin town to be named.
An article published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about the membership- Read more