Your Library Card
Eligibility For Library Card:
As a member of the Bridges Library System, the Butler Public Library serves all residents and taxpayers of Waukesha County.
- A free library card will be issued to any resident of Waukesha county eighteen years of age or older who presents a picture ID and proof of current Waukesha County residency.
- A free library card will be issued to any resident of Waukesha County under the age of eighteen who is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian presenting a picture ID and proof of current residency. The parent or legal guardian must be present when obtaining the card. The child should be able to sign his or her name to obtain a card.
- If you do not live in Waukesha county you may still be eligible for a Butler Library Card. If your community has a cooperative borrowing agreement with the Bridges Library System you are eligible to apply for a card. Unfortunately, Milwaukee County Federated Library System does not have a cooperative borrowing agreement with Waukesha County. To be eligible to check out materials from Butler Public Library, a potential customer who resides outside of Waukesha County boundaries must present identification which proves current Wisconsin residency.
- If you are not eligible for a Butler Public Library card, you will be required to pay an annual fee to check out books at the library. You are free to use materials within the library building at no charge.
In case of change of address or losing a card please notify the library as soon as possible. To replace a lost library card the fee is $2.00.
- 3 weeks for: Books, Audio Books, Playaway, Music CDs, and Magazines.
- 1 week for: All DVDs
- All Butler Public Library items are allowed 3 renewals.
- Items owned by other libraries may have varying renewal periods.
Reserves or Holds:
- Patrons can request items from other libraries to be sent to Butler Library for pickup. The library holds the items for one week. After the one week period, the hold is removed from the patron’s card and the item is returned to the owning library.
- All Waukesha county items (including DVDs/CDs) may be returned in the outdoor Butler library book drop or the inside book drop at the circulation desk.
- Materials from Butler library can also be returned at any Bridges system library.
- DVDs: $1.00 per day.
- All other materials: $0.15 per day.
- Black and white photocopier: $0.25 per single page.
- Black and white printer: $0.25 per single page.
- Color printer: $0.50 per single page.
- Damaged or non-returned items: Retail cost of replacement
- Lost library card replacement: $2.00
- Nonresident Library Card: $40 annually
Materials & Equipment:
- Butler library offers a wide variety of materials: children and adult books, magazines, newspapers, large print books, DVD format videos and a few Blu-Ray Videos, books on CD and tape, Playaways, as well as music CDs.
- No fax machine is available.